Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Indulge that sweet tooth, dear

alternative text

Imagine a sunny and unbelievably warm Saturday afternoon. Imagine the one thing that'll make it better.


That's right. HOMEMADE CUPCAKES. 


Brandi, I officially made the cupcakes and I officially apologize for how delayed this baking experience has been. In the end, it was totally worth it. 

alternative text
alternative text
Please tell me that I'm not the only one who thought of Ms. Frizzle and the Magic School Bus when I saw this....

But did they turn out well?! Dun dun dunnnnn...


alternative text

Jay kay, they actually did. I got this recipe for dark chocolate cupcakes (with Nutella frosting) awhile ago from Brandi from Not Your Average Ordinary, who is quite the foodie. This was very sweet of her; but you should know some context.

The last time I baked anything legitimate, it was for a high school French class where we had to bring in some food representing a region of France. I ambitiously and foolishly endeavored to bake le gâteau breton instead of making a salad like everyone else did. I swear on Gerard Depardieu's nose I followed those instructions as closely as I could. But I must have messed up somewhere, because that cake ended up being drier than the Sahara desert on an arid day. At least I didn't get points off due to effort.

But this past weekend, with a little (lot) help from my friends, the cupcakes came out beautifully. 

alternative text
No sorry, doggy. You can't haz any rich chocolate cupcakes or lolcat grammarz.
alternative text
We aren't experts at frosting, as can be seen. We ended up having so much of it left over that the boys used that as an excuse to make more baked goods so to (quite literally) spread the Nutella-cream love.
alternative text
omnomnomnomnomNOM. The cupcakes were so ridiculously decadent and rich and chocolatey that I thought I was going to blissfully die of sweetness overdose eating one or two or five.
alternative text
The mooch who didn't help (and instead did homework) thoroughly enjoyed our hard work.

It was probably the combination of the lovely weather, lovely baking and lovely Pushing Daisies that influenced my outfit for the day. I both loved it and thought, "oh God, I look like the stereotypical 50s housewife." I mean-- skirted dress, red lipstick, heels and baked goods? I think the first graphic of this post sums up how I felt about this. :)

alternative text
Dress- Beacon's Closet @ Williamsburg aka Hipsterville  ::  Shoes- Jessica Simpson  ::  Lipstick- Revlon Matte #007 "In the Red"
alternative text
Can you spy with your little eye which one is the demented housewife?
alternative text
Can you tell I have a wild crush on these shoes?
alternative text

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that dress so much. So much. Oh. My god. So much. Its a crazy quilt dress. And the print looks digital? And it looks like the awesomest crazy quilt ever. Like, sexy 1890s goodness that magically got transported to the 50s, after a brief stop-off in the Disney studios where it was deemed a wee bit too psychadelic to be worn by Snow White.

So instead, you get to wear it, and make cupcakes for your little woodland creature friends. And I get to be super duper geeky about it.

Brandi said...

Well, I love your dress and I'm glad my cupcakes pushed you outside of your comfort zone a little bit. I think that's always a good thing. You do look like a natural in the kitchen in these shots -- you could have fooled me.

Hattitude said...

Hattitude Artistic Style Blog

ah your adorable. i love the 50's housewife look! haha those shoes are total crush worthy :)

talk soon wild child
-Hattie
Hattitude Artistic Style Blog

Jenni said...

You look majorly adorable and those cupcakes look majorly delicious. If I ever clean my oven, I might have to make some.

Ali Hval said...

CUPCAKES? MMM I want to go eat some brownie mix now. Oh that first picture is so cute. I just adore it so much!

I thank you for excusing me for my absense. I can't wait till I can be alive again! xD